The SPCA of Tompkins County was incorporated in February 1902 in an effort to prosecute individual cases of cruelty. In 1904, the organization acquired sheltering facilities and took over as 'pound master' for some of the municipalities within the county. For much of its history, the SPCA has employed humane officers to investigate individual cases of cruelty, as well as providing impound, sheltering and adoption of unwanted dogs, cats, and other animals.
In 1999, the SPCA Board of Directors resolved to become a "no-kill" shelter, a vision fully realized by the end of 2001. In the spring of 2004, the SPCA opened the Dorothy and Roy Park Pet Adoption Center, a sheltering facility that provides dogs, cats and other companion animals with comfortable, healthy, home-like settings. Registered as the nation's first "green" animal shelter (U.S. Green Building Council) for its environmentally minded, sustainable design, the facility is "good for people, good for animals, and good for the planet."
The SPCA of Tompkins County is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization governed by a board of directors. Our tax id number is 15-0624378.